A goal is a desired result a person or an organization envisions, plans and commits to achieve. It is the desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Goals are what motivate us to push ourselves to grow and move forward in life.
The problem is that many people live without having any goals and there are some dangers in living this way.
7 dangers of not having goals
- We can become passive.
- It is impossible to do any real evaluation.
- We can fall into the trap of doing something just for the sake of doing something and it is difficult to state why we are doing this or why we are not.
- We lose motivation because we are not challenged.
- It becomes easy to settle for a maintenance mode instead of development mode.
- It is easy not to plan ahead.
- The emphasis becomes upon activity rather than output.
I have experienced many of these dangers in my life. I have to continue to wrestle with these dangers (sometimes daily) in order to pursue growth in my life.
Unless you have a definite, precise, clearly set goals, you are not going to realize the maximum potential that lies within you. Zig Ziglar
What are some other dangers of not having goals?
Here is a great book that I recommend: