It is possible for each of us to learn how to recognize and experience God’s presence–right now, every moment, wherever we are. There’s no better time than right now to begin living with an awareness of God’s presence in your life.
Set aside time during the next few days to read each of the following guiding principles for practicing God’s presence every day. Think about them, pray about them, and ask God to open your heart and mind to His presence.
Guiding principles for practicing God’s presence every day
(from “God Is Closer Than You Think” by John Ortberg)
- God is always present and active in my life, whether or not I see Him.
- Coming to recognize and experience God’s presence is learned behaviour; I can cultivate it.
- My task is to meet God in this moment.
- I am always tempted to live “outside” this moment. When I do that, I lose my sense of God’s presence.
- Sometimes God seems far away for reasons I do not understand. Those moments, too, are opportunities to learn.
- Whenever I fail, I can always start again right away.
- No one knows the full extent to which a human being can experience God’s presence.
- My desire for God ebbs and flows, but His desire for me is constant.
- Every thought carries a “spiritual charge” that moves me a little closer to or a little farther from God.
- Every aspect of my life – work, relationships, hobbies, errands – is of immense and genuine interest to God.
- My path to experiencing God’s presence will not look quite like anyone else’s.
- Straining and trying too hard do not help.
Meet God in this moment
The principle that impacted me the most today as I read and pondered this list was: My task is to meet God in this moment.
I find it too easy to get distracted in doing things for God instead of just being (meeting) with God.
I want to live each moment with God.
I want to have Him be a part of every aspect of my life.
I don’t want to segment my life (which has been a tendency for me in the past).
I want God’s presence to saturate every moment of my life!
Which of these principles impacts you the most today and why?