John Ortberg is my favourite author. If you don’t know who he is, here is a short bio of him:
John Ortberg is an evangelical Christian author, speaker, and senior pastor of Menlo Park Presbyterian Church in Menlo Park, California. His books center around how faith in Christ can impact our everyday lives with God.
I was first introduced to John Ortberg’s books back in 2004 when I read “If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat.” This book had a huge impact on my life. It challenged me to get out of my comfort zone and to step out in faith trusting God.
Since then I have read almost all of John Ortberg’s other books:
- The Life You’ve Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People (The best book on Spiritual Disciplines that I have ever read.)
- The Me I Want to Be: Becoming God’s Best Version of You (I highly recommend this book. It changed my life tremendously!)
- When the Game Is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box (This strategy-filled playbook walks you through what it takes to really win big at the game of life.)
- Everybody’s Normal Till You Get to Know Them (This book shares wisdom and tools for drawing closer to others in powerful, impactful ways.)
- God Is Closer Than You Think (A powerful reminder of how much God loves us.)
In August of 2012 John Ortberg released his most recent book “Who Is This Man?: The Unpredictable Impact of the Inescapable Jesus“ I haven’t read this one yet but I will soon!
2 reasons why John Ortberg is my favourite author:
I find John Ortberg’s books very easy to read. They present great truths but in a way that is easy to understand. I love how he uses lots of illustrations to make the truths he is sharing come alive.
2. Practical life applications.
John Ortberg’s books are very practical. They are not just talking about theories and best case scenarios. What he writes is extremely practical to everyday living.
John Ortberg is speaking at a conference this week
I am so excited that I am going to hear John Ortberg speak this week at the “Knowing Christ” conference in Santa Barbara, California. I have listened to many of his teachings on video but I have never heard him in person.
A really cool thing about this conference is that they are live streaming it so that everyone can participate in the conference! If you are interested in participating in the live streaming of the conference click here for more details!
I am also very excited to get away with my wonderful wife Lauren for a week! This is a huge priority for us and we are blessed to have the opportunity to do this.
Who is your favourite author and why? Have you read any of John Ortberg’s books? If so, which ones?