For most people, the only difference between joy and happiness is their dictionary meaning. A lot of people equate joy with happiness. The problem is, there’s a huge difference between the two!
The difference between joy and happiness:
- Happiness is based on circumstances but joy is based on the Lord.
- Happiness is like the moon, waxing and waning. Joy is like the sun, always shining even when night falls or clouds cover it.
- Happiness is like a kiss; joy a golden wedding anniversary.
- Happiness is born in the mind; joy is born in the heart.
- Happiness comes from humans; joy comes from God.
- Happiness is like exchanging Christmas gifts; joy is the awareness of what Christmas is all about.
Can you see the difference? Joy is so much more than happiness! Joy makes us different.
Joyful people think differently. They don’t allow negative thoughts to occupy their minds. They not going to let the cares of the world still their joy.
Joyful people act differently. Their attitude is different – it is positive. Their behaviour is different – it is God honouring. Their speech is different – it us uplifting.
Joyful react differently. They don’t respond harshly but encourage lovingly. They encourage not discourage. They build up, not tear down.
As a third-century man was anticipating death, he penned these last words to a friend:
“It’s a bad world, an incredibly bad world. But I have discovered in the midst of it a quiet and holy people who have learned a great secret. They have found a joy which is a thousand times better than any pleasure of our sinful life. They are despised and persecuted, but they care not. They are masters of their souls. They have overcome the world. These people are the Christians–and I am one of them.”
God wants us to have a life of joy!
Are you living a life of joy?